Sunday, December 23, 2007

Super easy Quinoa cookies

So I headed out to my parents' house for a day of holiday baking...and I made one cookie. Mom kind of took over the kitchen, making gluten-y baked good. Ah well. These are pretty darn good, and really, how many cookies can one Diva eat?


I have been wanting to try baking with quinoa. I love cooking with quinoa, and what a great way to inject some healthiness into your dessert? This recipe is actually off the back of the box of Quinoa Flakes. I figured I would try it as written since this was my first foray into quinoa baking. The verdict: Yum-o (to quote the cooking lady on my TV right now.) So here you go...



Crispy Quinoa Cookies

1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 t vanilla
1 cup rice flour
3/4 cup Quinoa Flakes
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt (optional)
1/2 cup nuts or chocolate chips (optional)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat honey, brown sugar, margarine, peanut butter, and vanilla in medium bowl until creamy. Combine rice flour, quinoa flakes, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl (or just dump it all on top of the wet mixture like I did!) Add to mixture and beat until well blended. If desired add nuts and/or chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls about two inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool one minute before removing from cookie sheet.


I found that they seemed to bake much faster that the time given. Then again, that could have been due to my parents' old, wacky oven. While these are not a real holiday cookie, it is still a fantastic addition to our gluten free baking repertoire. If you miss oatmeal cookies and don't want to risk a reaction to oats, this is the way to go. They are not exactly the same, but are pretty darn close. Enjoy!


10 comments:

Sheltie Girl said...

Your quinoa cookies look wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Happy Holidays!

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go

Moderator said...

These cookies look delicious! I have had great success with quinoa flour and I love the quinoa pasta.

Lynn Barry said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR! HUGS!

Lori said...

Shannon..
Please contact me. I have included your info on my site www.CeliacChicago.com
We have a lot in common.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Dear Shannon,

My name is Isabelle and I'm a member of the WEGO Health Community [http://www.wegohealth.com]. I’ve been spending some time on your site and I wanted to get in touch with you to let you know a little bit about what we're doing here at WEGO Health.

Our website recently launched and our mission is to identify, rank, and organize the most helpful health and wellness content online and make it easy to access by everyone. We need the help of people like you, with real experience with these topics, to review the material and help us decide what information is most helpful. We can then organize the rated content and provide the public with only the most useful articles to save them time. Pulling together good health information is definitely a team effort.

Our mission is articulated very nicely here:
[http://www.wegohealth.com/our-mission.html]

I'm wondering if you would be interested in reviewing some of the Gluten-related materials [http://allergy.wegohealth.com/gluten-allergy.html] on WEGO Health. Please let me know if you think there is a way we may be able to work together.

I look forward to building our relationship and I hope to hear back from you soon. Please feel free to contact me at the email address below.

Best regards,

Isabelle
WEGO Health Community
expert-supported health communities

E-mail: isabelleo@wegohealth.com
Website: www.wegohealth.com

Girl Twentiesh said...

Perfect- I'm excited to try and add a few twists.

Anonymous said...

Please tell everyone you know to go vote on the Martha Stewart website on Martha's blog for the big idea bakeoff. One of the ideas is to launch a new mag with Martha for people with food allergies and intolerances. Please vote as many times as you can each day for the next week so this dream becomes a reality!
Go to www. marthastewart.com and then look for Martha's blog on the upper right hand side.
Check it out...we need more press and more resources for Celiacs!

ByTheBay said...

Hey there - I just responded to you over at the thread on the Multigrain Miracle Bread, just thought I'd give ya a heads up.

Anonymous said...

Where'd ya go, Digestive Diva?

Anonymous said...

I think these cookies are fantastic - I modified the recipe slighty and my friends went NUTS for them and didnt know they were GF - not bad eh?