Monday, August 06, 2007

Salmon Salad, Cheater Style

Today I am too drained, physically and emotionally, to do much writing here. The witty commentary will just have to wait for another day. Alas, I am nearly too drained to cook, as well. "But I'm HUNGRY!!!" screamed my stomach. Gah! Fine. McDonalds, pizza delivery, and frozen ravioli are no longer options. What to make? Cheater's style salmon salad. I saw a very delish looking recipe for a salmon salad over at Simply Recipes. It doesn't look too complicated, but I just didn't feel like running to the store for the missing ingredients. Instead I improvised with what I already had in my fridge and spice cupboard. Costco once again comes to the rescue, this time with some lovely salmon burgers they carry that are gluten free (says so right on the box!) This is so easy, but actually tastes quite good. I know there are many other ingredients I could add to this salad. Consider this the base, or foundation, upon which to add your own finishing touches:



Salmon Salad (Cheater's Style) for One

2 Omega Foods Wild Salmon Burgers, frozen
oil for your pan
1/3 cup sour cream
juice of one lemon (I used about 3/4 of the juice)
1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
1/4 cup vidallia onion, finely diced
salt and pepper to taste

Place the frozen salmon burgers in a lightly oiled small frying pan. Pan fry for 2 1/2- 3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and set aside to cool. In a medium bowl combine sour cream, lemon juice, herbs, and onion. Flake the salmon burgers and mix into the dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste. Makes enough for one person as an entree, or two as a side salad.



I toyed with the idea of adding diced red bell peppers to this salad. You could double the dressing and mix in 1-2 cups of brown rice. Hmmm... What would you add to this salad to make it your own?

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I do a similar salmon recipe- it's not cheating, it tastes great! :)

Oh, and I've tagged you for a meme. Check it out at Cindalou's: http://cindalouskitchenblues.blogspot.com/