Sunday, November 05, 2006

I was out at my parents house this weekend. I love them. They are so supportive about my new diet. Dad keeps picking up different kinds of flours and other GF items at the store. Apparently he tries making french bread the other day. He just tried to use his standard recipe and substituted Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Baking Mix for the flour. He said the dough was like cement. See, this is what happens when you don't do your research. :) I love him, but he never follows a recipe. While this can work with cooking, baking is too precise for his style of winging it.

Anyhow, this weekend Mom and I headed to Costco where I bought WAY too much stuff. I am now stocked up on frozen chicken tenders, shrimp, frozen berries, a blender (woo hoo!), GF chicken stock and tomato soup, and so much more. I even picked up a copy of The Lake House. I adore this movie.

When we returned it was time to make some dinner. Usually, when I am at home, I plan out my meals ahead of time. I have purchased ingredients specifically for a set menu. Cooking at my parents' house is an adventure. Last time I made a stir fry, but it didn't turn out as I had hoped (no GF soy sauce to be had.) This time I was far more successful.




Shrimp and Capers with GF Pasta

Olive oil to coat pan
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 (14.5 oz) can of Petite Diced Tomatoes
I can (14.5 oz) Quartered Artichoke Hearts
1/2 jar of Capers
1/2-1 bag of spinach (as much as you personally like)
1-2 cups cooked shrimp
Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over med-high heat. Toss in garlic, saute briefly (don't let it turn brown!) Add tomatoes, artichokes, and capers. Saute until juices reduce. Add spinach. When it begins to wilt add shrimp and heat through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over pasta and top with cheese.



My parents did not have any Tinkyada pasta. Sadness. Instead they had a package of corn pasta (I can't remember the name right now.) The taste was fine. The texture was ok. The longer it was out of the water the softer it got. You would need to make it very al dente. It was decent, though. If I had not already tried Tinkyada I would probably have liked it better.


Today I decided to put all of the GF flours in my parents' pantry to use. This was my first foray into GF baking. And? Success!!! So good. I have to send huge thanks to Karina at Gluten Free Goddess (who truly is a goddess). I used her recipe for Pumpkin Bars. We did not have Pamela's Baking Mix, so I followed her directions so that I could use the Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Flour mix (with additional xantham gun, baking powder, and baking soda.) The bars, themselves, are great. The frosting is to die for. Yum! I love spices, especially cinnamon and nutmeg (the two in the frosting.) As I'm typing this I am craving another piece. I think I need to cut myself another slice. Must assuage my sweet tooth craving!

2 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

Outstanding! Good for you!

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I'm so proud of you, hon. I need to check into gluten-free recipes for Christmas cookies for you. Because there's no way I'm not baking some cookies for you.