Friday, November 10, 2006

Love affair

I have to admit it. I am in love. Tinkyada pasta and I are having a torrid love affair. Seriously! When I was first told I might have Celiac the very first thought that popped into my head was "NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I can't give up pasta!" I truly despaired. I am the pasta queen. I will put anything on pasta. It is a staple in my diet. Tinkyada has guaranteed that it will remain so. A couple days ago I made a quick easy pasta dish. I cooked up some gf pasta. Once it was done and drained I threw in frozen artichokes, cherry tomatoes (halved), pine nuts, and goat cheese. I tossed it with a generous helping of EVOO, balsamic vinegar, and kosher salt. So simple and so good. The best part? It is goo hot and cold. Great contrasting flavors: sweet tomatoes, tangy cheese and vinegar. Yum!

Did I mention I bought a blender? I love using it. Smoothies, baby! Frozen mango is the best ingredient ever. Not only is it mango (the fruit of heaven), but it adds the slushiness a smoothie needs. After a quick trip to the grocery store tomorrow I plan to make some Thai Coconut Squash Soup. The blender will be put to use for that. I found the recipe at a newly discovered site: 101 Cookbooks. I looks so good.

Speaking of cookbooks, I have a severe addiction. I see a cookbook and I am overcome with the compulsion to buy it. I can't wait to get the Gluten Free Dessert Cookbook that Mike (of Gluten-Free-Blog) has written. (I saw the pic of Lynn with her copy of the book. I am uber jealous!!!!) To stave off the craving for the book (which I need for holiday baking!) I bought a book tonight. I already own The Best Recipe (America's Test Kitchen/Cooks Illustrated). It is fantastic. Unfortunately, a friend borrowed it and I have not seen it in over a year. I bought their new book America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. It is in a 3-ring binder, reminiscent of the old Betty Crocker (I think). Beautiful photos, great basic recipes. So many things we can eat and many more that are begging to be modified. The thing that I love about their books is that each recipe has been tweaked and tested 20-50 times before it makes it into a book. These are truly the best version. I think we should all start harassing them to publish a gluten free book. It would be fantastic!

So now I am going to eat the last of my leftover pasta, put in a movie, and start earmarking recipes. Yay! (Wow, what a lame Friday night. Lame, yet super cozy.)

2 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

I hated anything to do with the kitchen before I figured out my intolerances and now...it is my favorite room. I guess we can always find a blessing in the dark time.
I will give my new cookbook a snuggle for ya until you get your own. You are going to LOVE IT!
Tinkayada...la la la...HUGS

Anonymous said...

Ah, it really is pasta love at first bite, isn't it? Yay, Tinkyada!