Monday, October 23, 2006

Paying the price

Hmmm...I thought I posted this yesterday. Apparently not. So this all applies to Sunday/Monday.

Yesterday I did eat something with gluten. I suspected as much. Today was bad. All of my symptoms were back in full force...and then some. Maybe I just didn't realize how bad they were since they grew over a period of time. You don't realize how bad you feel until you are suddenly feeling better. Today was painful. Nausea, bloating, cramping, major fatigue, light headed (super fuzzy head). I was feeling so crappy that I barely ate anything at breakfast. Bad idea. My blood level must have dropped super low because I nearly fainted in class. Fourth graders do not need to see their teachers pass out. I had to get my class covered and go lay down. My principal came in and brought me my lunch. Made me eat. I needed to. Once I had some food (read: protein) in my system, I started to feel much better. My body is completely out of wack. I was hungry every two or three hours today. Shaky, weak, starving. Weird. Makes the idea of cheating on the diet not even worth it. (Not that I would, per say, but I've heard of folks who make an exception on their birthday and get pizza. SO don't think it would be worth it. Not if today was any indication.)

So I am thinking of contacting University of Chicago about finding a dietician. Not sure how much it will help, but it's worth looking into. U of C apparently is one of two Celiac research facilities. They ought to know who to work with in this big city of mine. I'm also hoping to connect with a local support group. While all of you are fantastic, I would love to sit down, face to face, with others who are living gluten free. Get the local scoop on restaurants and such. Yep, gotta look into that.

1 comment:

Lynn Barry said...

It really will get easier in time. I know. Reading labels will become second nature and avoiding any and all suspect items, a way of life. I avoid do many things it makes it easy...I know what I can eat and there are so many things I can't eat I don't have many choices...ha!
Good luck. I know you can do it!